Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I am miserable with L4;L5, and S1-also with arthritis in my

Customer Question

I am miserable with L4;L5, and S1-also with arthritis in my hips. MRI showed that and w bulging discs. Yuck! The pain goes down through my glutes,hammies and calf(pancake behind calf/gastrock) now down to my old Achilles injury and them down to my arch of foot.
I cannot get any relief from my pain.
I bought a wondergel extreme cushion for my car from bed bath and beyond because sitting in the car makes me feel so awful.
My mom bought a new bed for me and it doesn't help either. I am so frustrated!
I do not know what to do or who to see to help me. I do not want to have a surgery! I have had 2 injections in my back and they did nothing if not make the pain more unbearable. What is your advice???
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for your question.I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.The symptoms can be due to pinched nerve in the back.This can occur in disc disease.The pain can radiate down along with numbness or tingling.You can take some measures to alleviate the pain-Antiinflammatory drugs like motrin or naproxen can be taken to relieve discomfort.Muscle relaxants can be helpful.Place at least one pillow under your knees when you lie down.This helps to relieve pressure of the disc on the nerve.Rest on a firm mattress if it is the one provided by your mother or on the floor can help in severe pain.While getting up and down of bed take help of others so that you don't strain your back in acute stage.Apply hot or cold packs to your back.Sometimes ice will work better than heat; at other times, a heating pad will do a better job of relieving pain.Try both to see which one is more effective for you.Local steroid injection often helps to reduce the inflammation and pain which you have got.Pain pump can be other option.You can consult a pain management doctor.Don't lift anything or bend or sit in soft chairs.Straining at stool irritates the nerve.Eat diet rich in fiber, fruits and vegetables to prevent constipation.You may need to seek advice of spine or orthopedic surgeon as the symptoms are severe.TENS, physiotherapy etc. under the care of physical medicine specialist can be option for you.I hope this information helps.If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.Regards.