Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Good Evening, a month I have been dealing with

Customer Question

Good Evening,
For over a month I have been dealing with a strange pain in my right arm. I do not experience it in normal activities but when I try to lift anything, I feel a pain anywhere from level 5 to level 10. I can sometimes push through it to do regular lifting but when I do, the next day there is a dull pain if I am not lifting and it is impossible to lift even a cup of liquid with severe pain. It seems like more than muscle strain. I will say that a decade or so ago, I injured my arm when a truck smashed it between the bed of the truck and a tree trunk. Of course, for several weeks, I could do nothing with that arm but over time, I was able to resume normal activity with no pain at all. I have had no recent injury to my arm so this concerns me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Does the pain radiate from your shoulder to the upper arm?In that case, biceps tendinopathy is likely.Steroid injection and physical therapy should be helpful over 6 to 8 weeks.Rotator cuff tear is another possibility.MRI scan of the shoulder will help to assess the severity of damage and plan surgical repair.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The pain originates somewhere within the muscle (my bicep I guess). The pain is only felt in my lower bicep. There is no pain in my shoulder.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I actually feel more of the pain in my forearm.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 months ago.
Ok that is reassuring --not a serious damage.This is due to the forearm tendon inflammation. or epicondylitis.Steroid injection at the tendon attachment to the forearm bone often helps with faster recovery.Ibuprofen can be taken 600 mg 3 times daily with food to help with pain and healing meanwhile.Physical therapy also will help.Best wishes