Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I'm seeking the expert opinion of someone dealing with

Customer Question

Hello, I'm seeking the expert opinion of someone dealing with people living with AIDS, who present as very ill, fevered, dehydrated, is NOT on therapy AND has developed one hell of a nasty variation on chicken pox. [dx; seroconverted in 2008, but didn't know it. Became celibate around the same time as well. Haven't so much as kissed a fellow human in almost 7 years and suddenly I'm covered in blisters, they've been coming up slowly for about three weeks then 3 days ago it went totally haywire. Hard masses that hurt and hurt and hurt anywhere from the size of a pinhead to several along my scrotum that measure at least 3ml in total size of hard mass. They are slightly worse on my Left side but are covering entire face and body. They sWELLL and SWELL and then burst clear crust and some blood or pus. Everything I've read sounds like my suffering has just begun. I'm willing to do therapy if it will be not so bad, but really, I'm tired of being tired and I hurt so much it hurts to say ow... so if my odds are lousy, I'd much prefer a few days of pallative care and a peaceful, dignified and calm death. What can I anticipate and what would you tell your own son?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.
Hello!I advise that you go to the ER. If indeed you are with AIDS plus outbreak of disseminated chicken pox then you would benefit from IV acyclovir .. you probably need to be admitted. You go to ER and they will see you regardless of ability to pay ...It sounds that you should be admitted and be evaluated . Evaluation and treatment of secondary infections will probably give you the best relief. Reconsider asking as to treatment also of HIV ( treatments have improved) Chicken pox is worse when primary in adults >> I can not be sure that this is your correct diagnosis but working from that assumption ( I have seen this before in immunocompromised patient and it is terrible if that is the case) I hope that this is helpful for you.Good luck to you!I hope that you get help and feel better soon...Hang in there and do your best I advise >>Best Regards,Anthony Bray MD