Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Well I have been doing some research because I get these horrible

Customer Question

Well I have been doing some research because I get these horrible cramps in my legs. Sometimes it's so bad that I get nauseous sweaty and on the verge of passing out
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I'm wondering if I need to be treated for dehydration
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.
Hello!
You should have electrolytes checked !! This is common cause such as too low of potassium.....
Other possibles could include abnormal level of calcium ....
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The EMTs told me I should go to the ER for an IV.
Do you take any diuretics ? Lasix or Demadex or HCTZ?? Any meds for blood pressure ??
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't take any medication
If you continued to feel as though you may pass out then yes you may be best to be seen at ER ...
I would not go to ER just for leg cramps but YES if you still feel faint / very light headed .....
The leg cramps might benefit to take a magnesium supplement ( you may get over the counter magnesium oxide 400mg / day )
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will do that. I also have a question regarding my husband. He has been getting this swelling in his ankle on and off. He was referred to a rheumatologist. They did blood work and nothing came back abnormal but they gave him prednisone for the inflammation. It stopped for a while but now his whole left leg is swollen. What could this be and who should he go to
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was his right ankle initially
If his whole leg has swollen then he should be checked ASAP as well ...A blood clot in the leg must be ruled out right away !
He might have venous insufficiency as possible cause >> leaky valves of deep veins in legs may cause swelling -- worse with prolonged standing ....
Since you seem to describe his swelling getting dramatically worse then I think that he should be checked by an ultrasound at ER -- they can check ultrasound and a blood test called a D- dimer
If your husband should have a clot in leg as cause of his swelling then that is very dangerous --- life threatening -- clot in leg could break off and go to lungs .....
If your husband should have a clot in leg then he would need to be placed on blood thinning treatment...
I hope that this information is helpful for you
Let me know if you have furher questions
I will be happy to get back with you
If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback
Thank you and Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD