Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn

I was raped and the doctor okay ed me to have sex with my husband.

Customer Question

I was raped and the doctor okay ed me to have sex with my husband. We did and now I'm pregnant. How do I find out if the baby is the rapist?
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I was raped the 5th of March the 6th of March my husband and I were okayed to have intercourse again so we did. We just found I'm 6 weeks pregnant and will be 7 on Sunday. I conceived according to the charts on March 6th.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. With your information it would be uncertain from the date of ovulation to separate which male's sperm caused conception. There is a way of drawing your blood and doing some DNA fraction testing and comparing it to your own pattern and your husbands pattern and narrowing the odds. This can be done around 9-11 weeks where there is a chance of fetal DNA being detected. There is also chorionic villus sampling which is obtaining fetal cells but it involves a somewhat invasive procedure. This is something to take up with your Ob doctor this week. I hope I answered your question in a very difficult set of circumstances.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In the process of doing the DNA test would my husband need to be there?
You can have your blood drawn for testing and your husband can have his blood drawn to compare to the fetal DNA for a match. The cells are actually shed from placental cells that are identical DNA to the actual fetus. You could have this done as early as 8 weeks and your doctor should have information. The technology is new but its use is expanding.