Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Dear Dr. M.D. Mazumdar: I am experiencing a lot of clear watery discharge, and my perio

Customer Question

Dear Dr. M.D. Mazumdar:
I am experiencing a lot of clear watery discharge, and my periods have stopped. I am 51, I think I am in perimenopause. I went to see a doctor, but I did not get any clear answers. I think I have a cervical polyp and I am worried that I might be treated for something else that I do not have, whereas I am probably perimenopausal. Can you offer any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.Dr. Mazumdar is offline, so I am answering your question.This clear watery discuarge is likely due to cervical polyp or cervicitis (inflammation of the cervix which causes excessive increase in the cervix secretions). A cervical polyp will need removal. A cervicitis may need culture of the discharge. If no infection is found, electric cautery will stop the secretion. The watery discharge you get can be from the Skene's glands. The Skene's glands are small glands on either side of the vagina whose main function is to secrete a clear watery discharge to lubricate the vagina. In most women, this discharge is minimal and not noticeable and is sufficient enough to just lubricate the vagina. Some women may get increased secretion form these glands suddenly at some point, even when the discharge is not much at other times. The other condition to be considered is cervix erosion or ectropion. The cells of the mouth of the cervix undergoes certain changes (from squamous to columnar cells) and these cells can produce a large amount of clear discharge. Ectropion usually does not need treatment, as it is usually an asymptomatic diseases; except in the occasional occurrence of excessive mucous discharge that is very bothersome to the woman. Ectropion is eversion of the cervix. Following treatment can be done; 1) boric acid suppositories 600 mg vaginally at bedtime 2) cryocautery 3) electrocautery Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 months ago.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/