Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

This past Saturday I started having really bad stabbing pains

Customer Question

This past Saturday I started having really bad stabbing pains in my right shoulder and it goes up my neck it feels like somebody's going to knife in my shoulder blade and it's twisting it I don't take calcium due to the fact that causes kidney stones but I'm at the point to where I'm going to get a multivitamin with calcium it aches all the way down my arm I can't get comfortable I don't really want to go to the ER can you help me please or do you have any suggestions
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No ma'am other than I have scoliosis but not my shoulder I don't think or they never said anything about being in my shoulder
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.The stabbing pains in right shoulder which goes up the neck shoulder blade is likely to be due to pinched nerves in neck. This can be due to; 1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck 2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves. Following investigations would be required; 1) X-ray of the neck spine2) MRI of the neck3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study4) Electromyography (EMG) Following measures would be helpful; 1) Neck care in the activities of daily living. a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter. 2) Cervical Collar or Brace 3) Cervical traction 4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen 5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant. 6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime. 7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound. 8) Hot fomentation 9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray You can consult following specialists; a) Orthopedistb) Neurologistc) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.You may start taking multivitamin and calcium which may help.There can be concomitant myofascial trigger point, too. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following; 1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant2) physical therapy3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points7) massage8) steroid shots9) acupuncture Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Please let me know if you have any further questions.A positive rating would be appreciated.