A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I keep getting reacurrent spread throats. They don't last particularly

Customer Question

I keep getting reacurrent spread throats. They don't last particularly long a couple of days maybe but it is worrying me. I have also noticed that my right tonsil is much larger then the left although I know it has been like this for a long time? Sore
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a sore throat every couple of weeks, I don't need antibiotics for it. My tonsils never go white but both sides of my throat are noticeably red and the right tonsil swollen.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Sore throats can be from both bacteria and viruses. Have you had a throat culture to determine if it is strep or some other bacteria? or perhaps not a bacteria at all but a virus? Thanks for any additional information, Schuyler~
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I haven't had any swabs taken? I did wonder if it may be some kind of strep throat. I used to get bad throat infections when I was a child and then it calmed down but now I feel like I am consistently having a bad throat every other week for nearly a year!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think my enlarged tonsil is a long term thing potentially from childhood infections or is it something to be concerned about?
Tonsils are lymph tissue and can easily become infected with any germ that is going around. I don't think it is anything left over from a childhood infection. More likely your tonsils are easily infected. A swab to determine what the infection is will help the next time you have a sore throat. Your medical provider may want to send you to an otolaryngologist (an ear, nose, and throat specialist) to see if you are one of those people who would benefit from a tonsillectomy. At one time tonsil removal was a fairly common practice in childhood, but we don't do that any more. There has to be a real reason for removing them. It sounds like your recurrent infections fit into that category. Best regards, Schuyler~