Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I've had this pain when swallowing on right side of throat

Customer Question

I've had this pain when swallowing on right side of throat above Adam's apple for over a week now. It's not a sore throat and nothing hurts to touch and nothing feels swallow. About a month ago I did have a sore throat, then came the clogged ears and stuffy nose. The clogged ears stayed and still exist a little today. The congestion is gone but the slight coughing has lingered too. My biggest concern is the pain swallowing. Could this be results of sinus infection or even allergies?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Streptococcal infection can cause persistent pain sometimes.In most cases this is viral infection related may take some time to subside.You should get a throat swab to rule out strep throat which will require antibiotic course.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's not pain inside my throat though, the pain I feel is just to the right of Adam's apple. At what point to I go see a doctor? I don't usually go to doctors. This pain has been there for almost 2 weeks. Can a viral infection take this long and is it just a matter of waiting it out?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 9 months ago.
Viral infection can cause persist more than 2 weeks.This will be more like cartilage related pain than infection related.However streptococcal infection should be ruled out as well given that 2 weeks passed.Usually not concerning.