A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I have the dry heaves. It started last evening and was better

Customer Question

I have the dry heaves. It started last evening and was better this morning. I had 2 cups of hot tea/sugar this morning and that was fine. About an hour later I had one scrambled egg and that was fine for about 2 hours. I then had 2 teaspoons of chicken broth and that didn't work. The dry heaves started again with nothing coming up. I have no fever. What should I drink or eat?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 months ago.
Hello, You can try an electrolyte drink such as Gatorade. It's best to sip it a little at a time rather than drinking a full 8 ounces at a time. After 24 hours with no nausea, you can try the BRAT diet. That's bananas, boiled rice, applesauce, and dry toast. Only when that is working for 24 hours should you begin to add proteins or fats. If you continue to have problems after today you may need to see your medical provider. It is very easy to get dehydrated when you aren't able to eat or drink. Many people require IV fluids, since dehydration can be dangerous. The older one is, the more dangerous it is. Your provider may want to prescribe something to make you less nauseated. Since the weekend is coming up, I would give him or her a call now. Please let me know if you have questions.