Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am 52 years old and I have a problem with my neck and body.

Customer Question

I am 52 years old and I have a problem with my neck and body. I have a musty odor smell around my neck. I also suffer with body odor. I take a shower twice daily but it does not seem to help. Can you please please help me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long. The body odor or smell in sweat is due to the bacteria on the skin surface. When they mix with the sweat, a substance is produced which has odor. The common reason for the causative of the body odor are; 1) Hormonal; thyroid, adrenal should be investigated.2) Any herbs, supplements, medicine should be ruled out.3) Dietary factors can be responsible. Change of the diet specifically avoiding onions and garlics should be tried.4) Arm pits, neck, upper baack and groin should be looked for the hyperhidrosis / excessive sweating. The excessive odor that characterizes bromhidrosis may result from alteration of either apocrine or eccrine sweat. Apocrine bromhidrosis develops as a result of the formation of short-chain fatty acids and ammonia by the action of anaerobic diphtheroids on axillary (arm pit) apocrine sweat. Eccrine bromhidrosis is caused by microbiologic degradation of stratum corneum (skin layer) that has become softened by excessive eccrine sweat. Treatments that may be helpful include cleansing with germicidal soaps, topical clindamycin or erythromycin, or topical application of aluminum, zirconium, or zinc salts. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), warm weather, obesity, and diabetes mellitus are predisposing factors. The hormones (thyroid and adrenal dysfunctions) cause sweat gland in the skin to increase in size and they respond excessively to body's hormones (increased cholinergic sympathetic stimulation of the sweat glands in the neck, axilla/armpits or groins). Following treatment protocol may help; 1) dietary restriction of coffee, tea, cola soft drinks, and chocolate.2) application of aluminum chloride hexahydrate or zirconyl chloride in absolute alcohol3) iontophoresis, done by dermatologists in their office4) medications like atropine, propranolol5) Botox injection Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work. Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future. This additional service offer can be used for- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you. Thank you.
Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!This is the link to my profile:
Please let me know if you have any further questions.