Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have tenderness to the touch just above my right ankle on

Customer Question

I have tenderness to the touch just above my right ankle on the inside of my lower right leg
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: There is no lump but it feels a little swollen
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I'm 53 years old and in decent shape overall
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are your symptoms?

Was there any unaccustomed activity?

Is there redness?

Is walking painful?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Discoloration in area and a little discomfort when I walk
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the further information.

I would get a serum uric acid to rule out gout which may be one of the possibilities of the diagnosis. The other cause can be ligament sprain and/or muscle strain.

The management entails;

1) Rest

2) Stretching exercises

3) Ice or ice massage

4) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil) can reduce inflammation and help manage pain.

5) Whirlpool, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, and ultrasound; done in physical therapy centers.

6) Local analgesic cream

A gout would also need specific medications for it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Two classes of drugs are available for use as urate-lowering agents in gout (if your uric acid comes out to be high). The first is xanthine oxidase inhibitors, which block metabolic steps in the synthetic pathway of uric acid. Drugs are allopurinol and febuxostat. The other class of drugs are uricosurics, such as probenecid, which act to increase renal (kidney) uric acid secretion. Other uricosurics medicines are sulfinpyrazone and benzbromarone.

Colchicine is taken for the acute attack.

In addition to the standard agents other drugs have been found to have salutary effects on serum uric acid. Vitamin C has shown to have a mild urate-lowering effect at a dose of 500 mg daily. Fenofibrate, losartan or amlodipine have been demonstrated to have mild uricosuric effects.

Following measures will prevent the further attack of gout ;

1) Avoid alcohol and sweetened drinks, preserved fruit juices

2) Plenty of liquids and water

3) Avoid Organ meats, poultry, sea-food

4) Pulses and lentils avoidance

Milk and yogurt are beneficial in the gout. Please see the slide show and dietary measures in this resource;

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: