Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have a painful muscle sprain. Cant get in to see my doctor

Customer Question

I have a painful muscle sprain. Cant get in to see my doctor til Thurs. Is there anything OTC that will help until then? +I've tried aspirin 975 mg and acetominiphen 650 mg. I think I will eventually get a muscle relaxant. Thank you very much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

Where is your injury ?

You may benefit to combine Tylenol with an NSAID ( nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory)

NSAIDS include aspirin OR IBUPROFEN OR ALEVE ( naproxen ) only one NSAID PLUS TYLENOL

Tylenol you may take total max of 4000mg per day (8 of the 500mg tablets )

For the IBUPROFEN you may take up to 800mg three times a day ( any NSAID take with food or milk and watch for stomach irritation)

You may have some benefit to take a magnesium oxide supplement 400mg a day ( acts a bit as muscle relaxant effect )

A topical product may help...you may ask pharamacist for what is available at your location ...topical applications may benefit such as Aspercream / Salonpas / other

You may benefit to alternate cold packs / heating pads .heat or cold distracts pain --- cold reduces inflammation / warmth may help relieve muscle spasms ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The injury is in the shoulder and back just under the shoulder blade. The pain is not on the surface. Will the Aspercreme etc. penetrate to reach the pain? It is keeping me from sleeping very much. Thank you.

Hello again,

Yes even though the source of the pain is deeper the Aspercream over this area should help give you some sense of relief...

It still would help to distract the pain signals from the sore muscles in this area...

I hope that this is helpful and that you feel better soon!

Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry Dr. Bray, I just noticed that you had earlier emails to me than the one that I answered. Your emails were going to Junk and I didn't notice it at first. The pain was keeping me from sleeping so I got serious today and went to an 'alternate' Emergency Room. Got a shot and meds. The Dr. thinks its a combination of arthritis, rheumatism or bursitis along with muscle spasms. Thank you very much for you help.
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

Ok I'm glad that you got checked and got help!

I hope that you feel better quickly!

Let me know if I may be of any further help.

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD