Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I am 66 years old and I would like to know if androgel will

Customer Question

I am 66 years old and I would like to know if androgel will help solve my problem I have a low sex drive and erectile disfunction Is the product available in SA Thank you
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I am struckling to get a strong erection I have had testesterone injections with 3 week intervals I have tried the injection direct into the penis and still I dont get a strong erection
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: The only thing I think I can say is that I have been struckling with this problem for the last 3 years Iam not realy over weight and I am quite active
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 months ago.

Androgel is a topical form of testosterone. It is used to treat low testosterone... it would not necessarily be more effective that shots of testosterone ( effectiveness may be dose dependent in whatever form your are treated with )

The erectile dysfunction would be expected to respond to your treatments thus far from your description...

Options that usually work as first line include the RX medicines of Viagra or Levitra or Cialis (Possible marketed under different names in South Africa...)

With treatment of low testosterone the dose may need to be adjusted upward ...

With the ED drugs that are first line these usually work in about 90 percent of cases but know that your dose may need to be increased as possible ( Viagra may be more likley effective at 100mg than at 50 mg for example)

Other treatment of erectile dysfunction may be addressed by your urologist ...

A vaccum pump is sometimes helpful for the problem..

You are welcome to search the site >> >> then search condition.. this site does have references available for international drugs as well ... ( I am in the US and not specifically familiar with what is available in South Africa but I would think that these mentioned would be available but possibly under a different name)

Certain problems may be more difficult to treat such as if you had prostate surgery ..

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions.

I will be happy to get back with you,

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD