Dr.S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(Internal medicine/cardiology) MRCP(R) U.K

My boyfriend is 58 yes old. He has a story of colon polyps.

Customer Question

My boyfriend is 58 yes old. He has a history of colon polyps. His liver enzymes have been fluctuating for almostbavyear. His Dr thought it was from over use of Tylenol and ibuprofen. Now he has had dark blood in his stools off and on. He has an emergency visit with a GI Dr tomorrow. He is convinced he has colon and or stomach cancer because it runs in his family. He has had a lot of stomach pain and problems over the last 6 months. Are there other medical issues besides cancer that could be causing these problems?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He has a high stress job and attributed the stomach problems to stress. He is a social worker who works with terminal children
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: , so he also gets exposed to lots of viruses, etc.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.S.A.Alam replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question, it is true that colon cancer is a large risk factor with people who have colonic polyps.. But as he has been taking a lot of pain killers so most likely cause in his case is gut ulceration due to pain killers.OTer causes like inflammatory bowel disease, infection in the gut can also cause such symptoms. If he has weight loss unintentional more than 3-5% over few months then he needs a gut endoscopy ASAP. Let me know if you have questions. I am assistant professor in medicine and can help you with further questions, thank you. Do rate as positive if no further questions.