PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My granddaughter was bitten by our pet dog? s last rabies

Customer Question

My granddaughter was bitten by our pet dog? His last rabies shot was in 2014. Should we subject her to the series of shots or wait for the 10 day quarantine to make sure he is rabies free or should we go ahead and have him euthanized and tested for rabies immediately to forego her having the shots. She is five years old.
Category: Health
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.
Customer thanks for your question.

This, actually, is a question that your local legislation may answer for you. Many places have specific regulations on vaccine protocol, inoculations for people and where a dog has bitten someone. If the vaccine was a 3 year vaccine, he would still be up to date. If it was a 1 year vaccine, he's overdue. It would be advisable to contact your vet to determine if he's up to date or not, and then also contact your state Center for Disease Control to get this answer because they will not only need to log the bite, but also log the potential for rabies transmission (and I suspect you're right that he's not rabid, but that's also why the CDC gets involved).

If you'll share your information on what state you live in, I'll be happy to get the number for your local CDC for you.