khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

Note: I am hoping to get a specific answer and not

Customer Question

Note: I am hoping to get a specific answer and not general opinion as to "you should not do that". If grapefruit increase the potency of Vytorin in the blood stream then why shouldn't I take very small dosage of Vytorin (like cutting the 10/20 tablet in half) with grapefruit to increase its potency?

Error Report: I asked this question in the car section because Health Professional section is not working properly. It keeps asking me optional information and does not allow me to skip the second and third page. It then gets stuck at the third page.

Category: Health
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.

Vytorin consists of ezetimibe and simvastatin. Ezetimibe is not affected by grapefruit juice. Simvastatin serum concentration may be increased when taken with grapefruit juice. You should just avoid concurrent intake of large quantities of grapefruit juice (>1 quart/day).