A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My name is ***** *****. My WBC HAS BEEN DROPPING.

Customer Question

Hi. My name is ***** *****. My WBC HAS BEEN DROPPING FOR 18months. Results:7.0,6.2,5.7,& just a few weeks ago 3.9. My lymphocytes are 62 and neutrophils are 25 percent and absolute neutrophils are1.0. Should I be concerned. I'm aware of what high lymphocytes and low neutrophils can mean in terms of leukemia and lymphoma.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My blood was drawn as part of prep for pre op for surgery for cervical spinal stenosis. Other than hasimoto's thyroiditis I'm in good health. What other details would you like.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

Can you post the entire results, including raw numbers (i.e. 4,000/mcL as well as percentages for all blood components?

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but this is asking for a lot. I would just like a basic answer.
S. Neutrophils 25%. White cell. 3.9 K/uL
Lymphocytes. 62% Red Cell. 4:69 K/uL
Monocytes. 10%. Hemoglobin. 14.4g/do
Eosinophil. 1%. Hematocrit. 42.9%
Basophils. 2%. MCV. 92fl
Platelet estimate Adequate. MCH. 30.7pg
Morphology. Normal. MCHC. 33.6g/do
Absolute neutrophils 1.0K/uL. Platelet count. 243 K/ul
RDW. 12.9%
MPV. 11.1 fl
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The MPV WAS HIGH FOR THEIR LAB ALSO. THESE TESTS WERE DONE AT NORTHWESTERN MEMORIAL IN CHICAGO.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is anyone going to answer my question?

Please be patient. I am typing as fast as I can.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sure. Just wondering if I lost you. I'm not technologically savvy!ūüėä

I'm sorry you think this is asking for a lot. Actually, it is important to know the amounts of ALL white cells, not just one or two to see if there is any clue as to what is going on. That would be the most basic answer possible. This is a mash-up of numbers and percentages of both white and red blood cells and a combination of raw numbers and percentages, so you can't tell a lot.

This is the white cell results that you provided:

White cell. 3.9 K/uL

Absolute neutrophils 1.0K/uL.

Neutrophils 25%.

Lymphocytes. 62%

Monocytes. 10%.

Eosinophil. 1%.

Basophils. 2%.

The 5 types of white cells (leukocytes) are lymphocytes, neutrophils, monocytes, eosinophils, and basophils. Together they always will add up to 100% of the total white blood cells. Since that is so, any time one component goes up in percentage, another must go down so they still add up to 100%. That is why you can't tell a whole lot about percentages.

Still, normal percentages should look something like this:

• Neutrophils: 40 to 60% (yours 25%)
  • Lymphocytes: 20 to 40% (yours 62%)
  • Monocytes: 2 to 8% (yours 10%)
  • Eosinophils: 1 to 4% (yours 1%)
  • Basophils: 0.5 to 1% (yours 2%)
  • Band (young neutrophil): 0 to 3% (yours not given)

The most common cause for this kind of result is an infection (high lymphocyte percentage as well as low neutrophil percentage). However, more important than the percentage is the actual numbers. Low neutrophil count (neutropenia) is by definition less than 0.5. Since yours were 1.0 you aren't neutropenic.

Normal lymphocyte count is usually around 1.0 to 4.0.

Here is your red blood cell count:

Red Cell. 4:69 K/uL
Hemoglobin. 14.4g/do
Hematocrit. 42.9%
MCV. 92fl
MPV. 11.1 fl

RDW. 12.9%

This is all essentially normal. Nothing to worry about.

Your provider is going to have to determine what infection you have. If he or she can't do that, they may want to send you to a hematologist. These are specialists in blood problems.

If you care to provide raw numbers I'll be glad to look at this again, but you can't tell much from percentages.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't have any other numbers. Like what type of infection. I had a cold at the time the blood was drawn. It was a hematologist. I'm a 55 year old woman and I am not out & about if you know what I mean. Could th common cold cause this.

Yes, any kind of infection can cause these numbers to be off - sometimes by a lot. Viral infections (such as the common cold) are often the culprits.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~