DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

I injured my right arm while putting together a desk and

Customer Question

Hello. I injured my right arm while putting together a desk and chair in 2011. Ever since then, my right arm has been causing me significant trouble. I have done several treatments with no long term relief. I have done physical therapy, oral steroids, cortisone injections, rest, heat, ice, wearing splints, massage, over-the-counter pain medication and still I have pain in my arm. I have to wear a sprint every day to get minor relief.
I was able to get an MRI of my right arm and I would like to get a second opinion on the results. The original injury started with something feeling like it pinched and stretched in my wrist, and never it went back to normal. Now the most pain is located on the right side of my elbow, some in my wrist, and some in my shoulder.
I see an obvious area of abnormality on the MRI, but I would like to know exactly what is going on. Also, what treatment would you suggest for me now given the past treatments did not work, and the fact that I have been having this issue for almost 5 years?
Category: Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Diego, experienced Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concerns.

The problem that you described could be secondary to a radial nerve injury from the event that you had 5 years ago. MRI is a very accurate test to determine if any major structures have been affected. If muscular or major nerve problems are present the MRI could diagnosed the problem. However after 5 years you most likely developed neuropathic pain from repetitive stimulation of the affected nerve. Physical therapy and medication like gabapentin can be use to treat the pain. A EMG(electromyography) study could also add diagnostic value for your problem. You should follow with a neurologist and pain clinic to have this evaluated.

The only way I am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your response. I was looking more for someone who can look at the MRI and tell me what is going on. Would you be able to allow me to upload the MRI results and then look and see what the issue is?

I don't know if you are able to upload the MRI results but you can upload it if possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have requested the files be uploaded to our conversation. I did also have an EMG and they found no nerve damage. This was within the first year however so it has been awhile.

ok

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Just an update. I asked Just Answer to send the MRI file to you directly. Have you received it yet?

Hello. I received the file. However my computer is not able to open the file. I think I can not help you with the MRI interpretation.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the effort.

Kindest regards