A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I live in Dem Republic of Congo which has gh incidence of

Customer Question

Hi Good day.
I live in Dem Republic of Congo which has high incidence of Malaria and the quality of medical personnel is not like it is in developed nations. Diagnosis and prescriptions can be purchased for less than $5.
I have an employee who has repeatedly been absent / late claiming sickness due to Malaria. Roughly, in 4 months of my tenure - he has probably worked 40% of the time. Lates and absences are being attributed to Malaria.
I have spared no expense or effort to send him to the doctor and get him treated. But now Im frustrated because I believe that the employee fakes fatigue and illness to get out of work. It has also come to light that the employee may have a drinking problem. The catch is this - when blood tests are done - he comes back positive for Malaria. Is it possible that the malaria may actually be dormant in his system since a long time and therefore showing positive but he is actually not sick ?
Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

There are lots of different tests for malaria. You would need to determine exactly what type of test is used. Blood smears will test for active infection with the malaria parasite. This is for diagnosis. After treatment the person's blood smear will be negative.

Serology testing checks for antibodies to malaria. Once someone has had malaria, they will always test positive for malaria antibodies. That doesn't mean they will ever have symptoms though, they just have the antibodies in their systems.

If the person had malaria parasites in their system, the provider would have to treat them for it with antibiotics. That is the basic standard of care anywhere in the world.

Best regards,

You might consider asking for a doctor's report every time this person is sick verifying their ability to return to work.