A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Blood pressure is 122over 51. Pulse rate is 77. I keep

Customer Question

Blood pressure is 122over 51. Pulse rate is 77. I keep having dizzy spells. And am on several meds and Coumadin for an artificial valve... Your option please
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: What else, other than I'm dizzy when walking around. I'm okay when sitting
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I have an artificial valve that I see a cardiologist for every six months. Last visit was December.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

Do you just have the dizziness when you get up and begin walking around, or is it all the time you are on your feet?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Off and on when I'm on my feet. Not constant!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Off and on. Not constant.

Thanks so much.

Your diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) is a little low and that is the most likely reason for the dizziness. The top number and pulse rate are within normal ranges. It isn't at a serious low, but enough to cause symptoms in some people.

When you have been sitting down it is important to get up gradually. Sit on the edge of the chair for a minute. Then slowly stand up and hold onto something for another minute. Only then should you being to walk around, always making sure there is something to hold onto.

You need to contact your cardiologist who may want to change your medications slightly so this isn't an issue for you long term.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,