Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have severe period pain. It has woken me up and I can't

Customer Question

Hi I have severe period pain. It has woken me up and I can't fall asleep again as it is so unbelievably painful Can't get into a position that is not sore, and it feels as though my uterus is trying to claw its way out of my back. I have taken 2 robaxin tablets 750mg each but it has made no difference.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have had this for as long as I can remember. Got better with contraceptive use but I got all the other side effects possible to get with contraceptive drugs. So I had to stop taking them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

It sounds that one possible cause could be a condition known as ENDOMETRIOSIS.. that tends to get worse over time fro the time you start having periods.. more pain than normal with your cycle and may hurt lower abdomen/pelvis and back..

It is caused by small implants of endometrial type tissue on the structures in the pelvis outside of the uterus..

I would advise that you discuss this further with your gynecologist.

Possible treatments for endometriosis IF THAT IS YOUR CAUSE could be type of birth control that more prevents you from having menstrual cycles as you do now..(anti-inflammatory medicines can help somewhat...other medication approaches could be considered in difficult cases) Other causes of pain such as fibroids should also be ruled out as cause.. pelvic ultrasound should be done to help diagnosis but that alone may not diagnose endometriosis ..

Surgery could be an option ( they may at times use endoscopic procedures and use laser to abalte the abnormal spots of tissue that may lie on the intestines/bladder/ adnexal tissues...

I hope that this information is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions / concerns/ discussion..

I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD