A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My anus is red and raw I have a rash or blisters (can't

Customer Question

My anus is red and raw I have a rash or blisters (can't tell) in the crack. It's a big red ring, not sure it's getting better
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I've been tanning, it stared about a week after I started tanning
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I've been taking valrax and applying ab revs to the affected area. Thought it was getting better, now its really red and sore
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 8 months ago.

Do you mean Valtrex? Do you have a history of genital herpes?

I'm sorry, but I don't know what ab revs is. Can you tell me more about it?

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I've had herpes before yes
Valtrex yes and abreva

Thanks so much for the clarification.

I'm sorry to hear you're having another outbreak. Tanning beds or exposure to natural sunlight can cause herpes outbreaks (even though the anal area isn't exposed to the rays). Warm baths without any perfumed soap, gentle blotting dry and keeping the area cool and dry as possible can help. Be sure to wear loose cotton underwear and avoid any perfumes, douches, lotions, or anything else expect plain water in the genital area. Also avoid sexual contact until the outbreak is completely healed. Valtrex and Abreva are fine. You can also take acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen for pain.

Some people get some relief from diaper ointment or a product called Calmoseptine that you can find at your pharmacy. It's a zinc oxide based ointment developed for use to keep stoma dry. It is difficult to get off, and you don't need to remove it. Just wash the area with plain water, blot dry, and apply a little more. If you don't see it on the shelf, your pharmacist can get it for you with no prescription required.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~