Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I've had a enema and it hasn't worked and not been toilet a

Customer Question

I've had a enema and it hasn't worked and not been toilet for over a week
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I had a operation last week. Been on painkillers since. I've not been able to go the toilet since I've tried lactose, and just had an enema but nothing has worked
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 months ago.

What type of surgery are you recovering from? That may make a difference as to the exact nature of the constipation problem...

If you had abdominal surgery then you may have a condition known as POSTOPERATIVE ILEUS >> the surgery may cause hypomotility of the GI tract.. it may be in a stunned state and have little to no movement..

Another possible factor could be if you have been on a liquid or low residual diet since surgery then that may reduce the fecal material to go through your system..

The pain killers may cause OPIOID INDUCED CONSTIPATION as another possibility >>OIC may respond to a medication such as MOVANTIK as a possible treatment option..

With your history of not having a BM >1 week though I say that you NEED an exam and possibly an abdominal xray series to determine better exactly what is going on and how best to treat you at this point ...

The list of possibles could include a fecal impaction or bowel obstruction as well which need more treatment steps...

You may need help from the ER to disimpact you as a potential >> you may benefit from a couple of high retention enemas...

Mediccation might be prescribed such as i mentioned the MOVANTIK if it is mainly being induced from the pain killers...

I hope that this information helps.

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion.

I will be happy to get back with you.

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback,

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD