Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What are the symptoms of a clot in the calf

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis in the calf ( clot in deep vein) would include pain and swelling of the calf/ leg...more often some redness . It usually hurts to lift the affected foot up (Homan's sign)

A DVT usually does not occur unless there is some RISK FACTOR ...prlonged rest such as recovery from surgery or illness .Prolonged sitting can be a risk.

Tell me what you circumstances and reason for concern are and I may be able to be of more help. I hope that this information is helpful for you Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was on my feet today and I felt like they were swelling. My legs, calves and feet were hurting. I took an ibuprofen and my pain decreased, however the pain/burning sensation is still there. It sometimes feels like a pulse. I took my temp it was 98.2, no warmness or tenderness to either calf. No swelling that I can see or discoloration. I'm trying to see if an ER visit is in order.

Hello again,

No it does not sound like your situation is due to a blood clot. The sense of swelling of both legs while on your feet a lot today sounds that you may have a degree of venous insufficiency...( leaky valves of veins which are about every 10 cm in the large veins coming up the legs) This may cause your legs and feet to swell a bit and feel achy especially with prolonged standing ...this sounds more of a fit to what you describe.Rest and elevate the legs and the swelling should improve.

The lack of discoloration is reassuring and the history of how it developed does not fit a likely blood clot scenario. So - NO I don't think that you need to go to the ER

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! Well one last question what do you think is causing the burning/hurting pain in my calf?

Hello again,

The burning sensation may be due to the selling.. I have seen people whom may have a day of unusual exertion too and at times exces sweating may alter electrolytes.. low potassium , low sodium, low magnesium may contribute to a burning sensation..

I more think that the swelling itself may affect the nerves. Since it sounds that it started today then i expect it will resolve soon as well .. the nerves to the legs and feet may be affected by swelling as well...

I expect that as you rest and elevate the legs that it will probably resolve in short time as well...

I hope that this is helpful. let me know if you have further concerns. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Also if on your feet more today then just muscle strain may be the reason for aches of the calf areas...

Typo above ---swelling ....( not selling )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you!!

You are very welcome!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD

Please remember to leave positive feedback on this thread!

That allows me to get credit for my work...

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

You may reach me down the road specifically if you have other HEALTH OR MEDICAL questions via my profile page on this site at ;

www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD