Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My husband is 75, normal weight, active. Drinks wine

Customer Question

My husband is 75, normal weight, active. Drinks wine regularly. He has been on HCTZ for a couple of years. As of today his doctor put him on pravachol due to total cholesterol of 221 and HDL of 72. LDL is 133.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My question concerns his other blood tests. There were four outliers....MCV of 101, MPV of 12, monocytes of 10. Chloride 97. Is there any cause for concern? His doctor would not have given him these results had we not requested them, and then only the assistant was there and said nothing about the numbers aside from the doc's desire to provide the Pravachol Rx. I realize doctors are very busy. Maybe he thought the blood tests were insignificant aside from Cholesterol. Thank you very much!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

This is Dr. David

MCV above 100 when there is anemia and low hemoglobin levels can be a sign of either low B12 or possibly low folate levels.

if his hemotlogin levels are normal, then MCV above 100 is ok.

I am not worried about his MPV or monocytes or chloride levels. these other levels are fine.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com