Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

A girl recants a abuse allegation. She has done this with

Customer Question

A young girl recants a sexual abuse allegation. She has done this with authorities n other agencies; however, she is now being called a liar and is being submitted to forced therapy seccions. Question, what consequences can this have on this young kid n at what point does a therapist stop trying to give here therapy on something that this young girl is now it did not happen?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Greene replied 10 months ago.

Are you asking on behalf of the girl in question? (Can I ask your age)? I need to know before continuing the discussion, thanks!

I'm an expert in forensic psychology and sex abuse, but need to be certain I'm not advising a minor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no not on behalf. Im 30 years old but was wondering how beneficial it would be to submit someone of that age to unnessary evaluations if that is the case. what kind of traum or consequences can it have in the adulthood stage of life?

Okay - thank you for that information. I appreciate it.

Well, I'm not thinking that there will be a lot of trauma from the evaluations themselves because of one main thing: There is a reason that this girl made the allegations in the first place. A psychologically healthy adolescent would never dream of making up spurious sexual abuse claims...and, yet, she did. Someone who does this job (working with abused children) is trained to look at the full picture - not just the claims themselves. They will be documenting everything that is going on in her life to help her the best they can. And, I do believe she needs help, whether the claims are true or not.

For example, what pressure/need is so great that she would feel the need to say these things? Who/what is behind it? Does she feel safe?

And, in many cases of spurious sexual abuse charges, the "victim" has indeed been a victim of abuse at some point (which is often why they're able to describe things in detail). If not, they may have been coached by an adult (in which case they are being used as a pawn). Either way, they're victims and could benefit from treatment.

From my understanding, she will be in therapy, not just subjected to evaluations. And I see this as a good thing if she has made untrue allegations in the past. Just doing so is a cry for help (or attention, at the very least). So my hope is that the professional assigned to her case will understand that she needs help with her pattern of lying and attention-seeking behaviors. Does that make sense?