Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician
9385906

Horrible itching feeling, no rash, no tyopical creams work.

Customer Question

horrible itching feeling, no rash, no tyopical creams work. moves around. arms and shoulder area. feels more like coming from inside. only effects one area at a time. want to scratch off my arm. benedryl does nothng creams do nothing. help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 9 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, in such cases where there is no apparent rash or allergy but still the person feels itch coming from inside of body , an anti depressant drug such as Cymbalta ( Duloxetine ) at dose of 40-60 mg/ day has been used effectively and i have good results with this drug in my clinical practice with similar cases like yours. The drug works on the premise of this itch being a psycho-somatic symptom rather than a physical symptom , in other words the itch could be psychological in origin and hence it justifies the absence of any kind of allergy and no response to topical antifungal creams and anti histaminics ( anti allergic medications ) which you must have tried many times by now.

So kindly discuss this medication with your prescribing doctor and give it a realistic try for about a month or two and see how you respond to it.

I am hopeful that you will reap benefits from its use.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards