Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have ggt test result 1143, can u suggest any medicine, no,

Customer Question

i have ggt test result 1143
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: can u suggest any medicine
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $27 after the Doctor responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Are you other liver function tests normal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please provide me the medicine name

Do you take alcohol?

If only GGT is abnormal; it is likely to resolve on its own. But if other liver enzymes too are abnormal; this may need other measures. I can give you the causes of raised GGT and their treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

Let me tell you that a single liver investigation like GGT being elevated with rest of all liver function tests being normal, there is all the chance that it is not denoting any significant medical issue and your liver is likely to be normal. The liver function tests are interpreted in conjunction with all blood test together with medical imaging studies. Collectively only they can give a diagnosis. Just a solitary raised investigation do not point or predict an illness. These point would clear your doubts:

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Liver gamma glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT) can be raised by:

1) alcohol,
2) phenytoin,
3) barbiturates, and
4) warfarin.

Clinically, its main utility is suggesting a liver source for an elevated alkaline phosphatase.

It has a low predictive value (32%) for hepatobiliary (liver and bile) disease, as it is present in numerous body compartments, including kidney tubules, pancreas (ductules and acinar cells), heart, lung, and brain.

Other clinical conditions in which GGT elevation has been reported are;

1) diabetes mellitus,
2) hyperthyroidism,
3) rheumatoid arthritis, and
4) chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Its clinical utility in assessing surreptitious alcohol use is questionable, as it has a half-life of 26 days and demonstrates poor correlation with alcohol binging.

In addition, normal GGT levels have been reported in more than 35% of people who consume more than 80 g of alcohol per day and still it is normal.
Thus with all this discussion, I hope, your anxiety would resolve. The sensitivity and specificity of GGT raise alone is low to diagnose a disease.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.