A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My question is in regards to my mother whom is experiencing

Customer Question

My question is in regards ***** ***** mother whom is experiencing some very concerning symptoms that have been only getting worse over the last year or so. I'll start by telling me you a little more about her she is a 47 years old woman whom is normally in pretty good health although she has been a crystal meth addict for nearly 20 years now and sometimes uses by way of injection. To my knowledge she doesn't suffer from any illness other than HEP C and has undergone one surgery aproxamately 4 years ago now , after she all of a sudden felt an overwhelming amount of pain, at which point was taken by ambulance to later find it was a very large cyst which was wrapped around her organs and intestines weighing nearly 6lbs. About a year and a half ago now she started to complain about a very sharp uncomfortable pain located behind her rib cage and between her hip bones on her left side. The pain has been so bad at times we've gone up to the E.R and she's had X-Rays and ultrasounds which have all been normal. This pain is not constant. Over the period of the past year she's been complaining of memory loss, she says it feels like she's getting alstymers. She's also been having quite a few hot flashes which she's assuming is apart of early menopause although that has not been confirmed by a health professional. She's also been experiencing loss of feeling in her hands to the point where she'll drop things she's holding. Her hands also go very red. She's also been experiencing pain in her arms leading up to her finger tips when she wakes up every morning, she describes it as a sharp shooting pain. Im really worried about my mother and would like to know a few possibilities if what may be going on with her and a few suggestions on how to ensure she gets properly diagnosed at the hospital as this has been going on for far too long and i feel as if they are not doing a very good job at trying to find the cause of these problems. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

What tests has your mother had with her primary care provider so far?

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She's had x-ray's, blood work and CT scan but this is atleast 4 months ago now

Thanks.

What did the tests show? Were they ordered by her primary or were they just tests at the ER?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They were done at tge E.R and from what I know they said there's nothing wrong

Thanks so much. Okay, first of all she needs to see her primary provider who can order tests to see what is wrong. At a minimum, sShe needs medication to cure her Hep C.

She needs to stop using drugs.

Memory loss is more likely from drug abuse than from Alzheimer's.

There are more than a dozen causes of upper left abdominal pain including reduced blood flow to the heart (angina), diverticulitis (a colonoscopy diagnoses this), enlarged spleen, bowel impaction, stomach inflammation, hiatal hernia, kidney stones, pancreatitis, etc.

The hot flashes may be from early menopause, but she would need to see her gynecologist for a diagnosis.

Pain in the hands and arms can be from loss of proper circulation, or from compression of a spinal nerve.

However, she needs to see her primary care provider to get started with systematic testing. The ER is for, well, emergencies. They look for a cause for the immediate problem and send you to your primary provider for follow up treatment. They aren't for diagnosing chronic ailments, and frankly we don't do a very good job with those. Her primary provider will be able to send her to proper specialists to get her diagnosed properly.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~