Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

My husband is violent in s sleep he curse, he swings s arms

Customer Question

my husband is violent in his sleep he curse , he swings his arms he is always fighting or crying in his sleep, he remembers nothing and when he awakes he sees bugs or square shapes in the morning
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: this is getting worse I just want to know if its a empending health issue or what he only has high blood that's it and a little over weight
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 11 months ago.

I’m Dr. Janne Nissinen, a board certified neurologist.

Please note that this is an information request and does not substitute an in person visit to a physician or an official diagnostic process. The advice given here is for information purposes only.

A few more questions:

How old is your husband? Does he have any memory problems? Does he shuffle when he walks? Does he fall while walking? Does he have any tremors in his hands or legs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is 62 no tremble walks good

To me it sounds like he has what is called "REM sleep behavior disorder" or RBD for short. It's a condition in which the person acts out their dreams. Normally an individual is functionally paralyzed in REM sleep (the stage of sleep we dream in) so that we do not act out our dreams. When this system fails and there is no paralysis, the person can act our their dreams, often in a violent matter which in turn can lead to injuries to themselves and their partner.

To formally diagnose the disorder, he will need a sleep study to document it and have him observed overnight. It is a treatable condition with certain medications.

Sometime the disorder is associated with parkinson's disease or other neurodegenerative diseases but can start 20 years before other symptoms occur or it can simply remain an isolated disorder.