Dr. David, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

My wife has chlamydia and i have not cheated, so i want to

Customer Question

my wife has chlamydia and i have not cheated, so i want to know how long it could have been dormant in me or her.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: before i accuse her of cheating
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she recently had cancer treatment, which means it is very unlikely that she cheated in any way... concerned
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have no symptoms and we have been together for 10 years. Prior to this period, we were both fairly liberal in our sex lives
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

chlamydia doesn't lay dormant.

if she has chlamydia currently, she must have contacted it from sexual practice recently.

this could be a sign she is having sex with someone else

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have read elsewhere that it is known as the silent infection because it is often symptomless and can lie dormant for up to 20 years. I have also read that it can lay dormant in the stomach? Not sure if this is true. I need to know if there are other ways to get it, or (unlikely) whether one of us could have been carrying this for years and never transmitted it to the other (we use condoms often as birth control, but not always).

Dormant is the wrong word, never dormant. Chlamydia can be present in men probably 1+ years with no symptoms. In women can be present 18-24 months with no symptoms. Anything longer while possible would be vary rare.