A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I was bitten by a horse three days ago (a hard, shaking

Customer Question

I was bitten by a horse three days ago (a hard, shaking bite) on the outside of the left forearm. I got ice on it right away and my fingers were all working so I figured it was ok. It only aches a little unless touched. I spent all yesterday working at the barn, and today I have bruising across the back of my hand that wasn't there before, and my wrist seems more swollen. Should I be concerned? I don't want to do further damage.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Have you had a tetanus shot recently?

You may have sustained more damage from the shaking, as well as the pinching of the original bite than you originally expected. This can cause additional pain and bruising, not to mention swelling. I would suggest you get it looked at by your medical provider, and do get a tetanus shot if it has been more than about 5 years since your last one. Guidelines call for every 10 years, but why take a chance?

Best regards,

Schuyler

~