A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Some thing very strange has taken place and it's to do with

Customer Question

Some thing very strange has taken place and it's to do with my smoking cigarettes and its effect on my body I been a steady daily smoker since 17 years old and the last couple of years I been very conscious of how bad it is and I also been very anxious and worried over the damage done thus far not just from smoking alone but my lifestyle changing from very active and healthy eating habits wise to the opposite sedentary and not eating much it that healthy when I do. Anyway Sunday before last I inhaled strychnine accidentally the fine most when poring the powder from one cup to another and then smelling it before the dust settled into the cup after transferring it anyway point I'm getting at is I didn't immidiately feel sick but three days after I got a terrible sore throat , runny nose all congested ( I never had allergies btw ) and I went to hospital due to long weekend and figured I'd get some meds immidiately which I did rather then waiting to go see my gp ! Anyway I blew my nose and spit up all kinds of phlegm all Weekend as well as for days after wards , now free getting better thanks to taking amoxicillin and sudafed for about a week I've noticed that I wheeze a lot less then before I got sick and I feel more clear also then begore I got sick. Can it be that I was severely congested even before I got sick eventho I had no congestion symptoms before I got sore throat and extremely runny and clogged nose ??? I ask this cause I feel like I can breathe Better then before I got sick and took antibiotics! Yet I'm smoking more cigarettes then before I got sick
If my message and question is confusing please let me know due to another problem I have for years now which I've been told is some sort of thought disorder I am very scrambled and missing my normally super articulate ways of thinking any help greatly appreciated oh and by the way being a smoker for so many years I never developed a smokers cough nor did I ever cough up any phlegm which I also find very strange due to the fact that when I was younger and still a smoker indid cough up lots of phlegm in the mornings especially and sometimes throughout the day but those years I was smoking a lot of pot also blunts to smoke the marijuana every night at least five per night now I don't smoke marijuana as often but I still smoke cigs but I feel like I can breathe better can the sinusitis have cleared out that much mucus that I feel as if I can breathe better regardless of still smoking ?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

The antibiotics may have completely cleared up a chronic sinus infection that you didn't even know you had until you got sick. That would explain your perception that you are breathing better now than before your upper respiratory infection.

Of course, you know that smoking is terribly bad for you, and that you should stop. Really, nothing you smoke is good for you. Within a very short time, your body will begin to feel better in so may different ways. Please see this link for a timetable of what to expect when you quit:

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Best regards,

Schuyler

~