wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal medicine internship in New York City. Two decades+ of medical experience
48069651

Six months of eye irritation to the conjuctiva in my right

Customer Question

Six months of eye irritation to the conjuctiva in my right eye from a tiny piece of fiberglass. Steroid drops = moderate response but problem returned when drops tappered off. Pain drops seem to make issue worse. Two eye docs have looked and can't see/find anything wrong other than irritation and redness. Am at my wits end. Pain and discomfort are daily now.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: ix months of eye irritation to the conjuctiva in my right eye from a tiny piece of fiberglass. Steroid drops = moderate response but problem returned when drops tappered off. Pain drops seem to make issue worse. Two eye docs have looked and can't see/find anything wrong other than irritation and redness. Am at my wits end. Pain and discomfort are daily now.Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/health/2afw0-hi-i-fiberglass-dust-accidentally-blown-eyes.html#ixzz40s2PukDE
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 10 months ago.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

can you upload a picture of your eye?

Does light hurt your eye?

Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist (eye MD), or just an optometrist?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

You should have a complete exam by an anterior segment/corneal specialist.

She may want to do specialized staining to look for any foreign body.....fiberglass can be very, very hard to find.

If there is a localized area of inflammation she may want to just surgically remove the conjunctiva from that spot in hopes of getting the offending fiberglass fiber.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I first noticed the problem approximately 6 months ago after working with a fiber glass brush doing repairs to a watch. I wear safety glasses; however, a small piece may have migrated around the glasses when I used compressed air to blow out the debris from the work space. I am a watchmaker. I went to my optometrist about a week after this occurred, who looked in my eye and examined both eyes very thoroughly with a standard exam, and could only detect mild irritation of the outer right part of my right eye's conjunctiva. He prescribed steroid drops in a tapering dose, which I used as directed and experienced some relief. But the problem came back again after the drops were ceased. I used the drops for a second course with the same results. Problem returned. The issue has continued to be episodic, and when the inflammation is present causes my eye to tear up and feel as though there is something inside of, similar to when you have an eyelash in your eye. Some days it does not bother me, and other days it will bother me quite a bit. There are no other visual issues or symptoms. I visited an opthomologist two weeks ago for another opinion. He also could only find mild irritation and asked if I had dogs in my home. I told him that this issue was not dog allergies, but he could find no issue with my eyes other than irritation, and prescribed a pain drop (Ketorolac). The use of these drops did not help, and may have made it slightly worse, so I discontinued use after one week. Warm moist compresses provide temporary relief. Regular eye drops for moisture provide no relief. Sleeping provides relief, for in the morning for an hour or so, the irritation is not present. I have another appointment with my optometrist tomorrow, but he is likely not going to find anything or do anything different than look in my eye and perhaps prescribe another drop.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is a photo.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only other medical problems (unrelated) are:
1. Nasal Septal Ulcer (chronic)
2. Spinal Arthritis (moderate)
3. Thyroid Nodule (benign)I am on no medication other than vitamins and fish oil capsules.

Thank you for that additional information and photo.

First of all, going to your optometrist tomorrow is not going to do anything other then transfer money from your pocket to his......this is way beyond the point where he can help you.

Your conjunctiva is irritated in the picture but not in the "point source" I would expect with an embedded fiberglass foreign body.

I do not believe your issue is related to working with the fiberglass.....

You might have some epscleritis, or underlying undiagnosed systemic issue.

So. What should you do?

1. Cancel your optometrist appointment and put that cash toward seeing an expert who might be able to help you: A cornea/external disease ophthalmologist.

2. Mash the excellent feedback button and leave a huge tip :)

3. Drop me a note and let me know how things turn out.

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the optometrist suspected epsceleritis (systemic) but indicated that it was normally present in both eyes. I was fully evaluated at the Mayo Clinic last August (about two weeks after this issue started and while I was using the steroid drops), and they did a full workup for everything/anything and diagnosed the benign thyroid nodule as well as the moderate spinal arthritis, but did not find any other issues.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will see about locating the type of specialist you indicated. Thank you for your expertise. I am left wondering why the Ophthalmologist (MD) made no mention of these other issues and/or had no specialist recommendations?

then you have done everything that can be done.........except for a conjunctival biopsy.

Best of luck to you.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS