Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My name is ***** ***** and i just got a 2 month old puppy

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** and i just got a 2 month old puppy from a guy today who never had shots or anything yet. she just went to poop outside and i noticed something white in her poop so i looked closer and i seen thin white worm looking things moving around in her poop.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have a 3 year old son whose been playing with her all day and so have i, shes been licking us around our mouth and things. when i googled worms in pups it mentioned that worms can be transmitted to humans.. so now im worried about mine and my 3 year olds safety and i dont know what to do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Specialists generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

The transmission of worms from puppy / dogs to humans is possible. You need to consult a Vet first to confirm by stool exam of puppy and also if it is a transmittable worm to humans. If it is; puppy and all of you in the family would be give medicine to deworm. Usually this is a single tablet which is repeated after 1-2 weeks. This will take care of the issue. There is no emergency associated with it and can be done in a routine appointment from your primary care physician and the Vet.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already gave the puppy back to whom i got him from. So i dont know what type of worms it has. Im just concerned for me and my son. My son was kissing the puppy and also took a bath after we bathe the pup in the bath tub. What can i do now? Just wait to see if either one of us shows symptoms and go to the dr then or what? How long do the symptoms take to show in a human and what are the symptoms? Exactly how can we get the worms?? They looked like little white long worms... Idk it was the first time anything like this has ever happened to us.

Your worry is unfounded as a matter of fact. The transmission is most common if you come in contact with poo of puppy. There is a chance that none of you in the family may have contacted the stool of puppy. Bathing is unlikely to transmit the worms. The usual symptoms of worms are diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, weakness. These usually develop in 2-4 weeks. A wait and watch approach can be done if the puppy stool is not examined. If the stool is examined, that would dictate your need of anti wormi medications.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We never came into any type of contact with the poo of the puppy. But when the puppy was laying down on the floor and moved i seen a white worm on the floor. I hurried up and cleaned the spot good and washed my hands. Thats when i took the pup back to the owner and explained the situation.. I just dont want my son to catch anything. Ugh!

I can understand your concern.

1) Chance of transmission is extremely low with your description.

2) Let us assume, there was transmission (the worst circumstance); this is an easily treatable medical issue.

Thus do not please feel too bad about it and get overtly anxious.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please do not loose sleep over it.

Thee is nothing serious or significant here.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can it kill humans and kids? Dont want it to do no damage or harm to me or my son if we were to have gotten it

No. It does not kill adults or kids.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if you want to discuss anything more.

Please rate the interaction as only a positive rating gives us credit and compensate the experts.

Thank you.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.