Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I live in the UK and need information regarding DIY tools

Customer Question

Good Afternoon
I live in the UK and need information regarding DIY tools that are used regularly in the home for home maintenance, which are available at retailers and also ones which are at development stage, for individuals who have weak hands and wrists and who have an overall weak grip. The things I had in mind are screws, screw drivers, hammers, measuring tapes etc.
I was told by a friend that it is best to ask an Occupational Therapist. However, in order to do this, would I need to be referred to a therapist by my GP or can I approach an Occupational Therapist directly?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

You need to be referred by your GP to an occupational therapist (OT). OT do a muscle charting in which the muscle strength is gauged and specific tools for activities in daily living can be prescribed. Majority of the time; these tools may not be available and these are specifically tailor made by some of the factories. The movements are combination of agonist and antagonist muscles. So weakness is not uniform in the opposite group muscles. Thus individualized crafting of the tools is needed for efficient working, preventing clumsiness and best outcome.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.