Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I'm a 32-year-old male. past couple of years, I've

Customer Question

Hi Dr. David,I'm a 32-year-old male. For the past couple of years, I've had fatty liver with slightly elevated liver enzymes.I was recently on antibiotics (azithromycin and amoxicillin) for a sinus infection / respiratory tract infection. I was having pains and a feeling of fullness in my liver area during the treatment.It's been a week since I finished the medication. The pain went away at first but for the past couple of days, I've been having a wincing / stinging pain in the liver area and my stool has been poor (not quite diarrhea, I've only been having 1 movement per day, but small flaky bits instead of solid, and light brown in color but quite yellow on the tissue).- Could this be antibiotic-induced diarrhea? (I'm also on a long-term PPI.)
- Could the stool issues and pain be a liver problem?
- Should I be concerned?At the moment, I've started taking a probiotic twice per day and am drinking plenty of fluids.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

this is Dr. David

yes, this could be due to antibiotic induced diarrhea.

most likely your symptoms are not due to a problem of your liver.

I'm glad you are taking a probiotic daily to help add in more good bacteria into your bowels

if your stools don't get better, you need to see a doctor and get stool testing for H Pylori bacteria infection in your bowels.

let me know if you have other questions.