A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Daughter has temperature, cold hands and feed at slight nose

Customer Question

Daughter has temperature , cold hands and feed at slight nose bleed. Having just put her to bed I'm worried it could be meningitis but equally want to wait till the morning as I want her to sleep. She has drink water and about 100ml of milk. Should I be waking her and going to hospital or can it wait . She also has conjunctivitis in both eyes - this all started yesterday . She is 2 and 3 months
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

How high is her fever?

How has she been feeling otherwise?

Why do you think she might have meningitis?

Thanks,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not taken it exactly - earlier when she would take neurophen it dropped but this afternoon head and neck were v v hot. Her hands and feet being cold is what made me think of meningitis. Today she has been totally blocked up with snot and Pusey eyes . Earlier in the day asking to sort of play , picking up toys, went for a little walk. This afternoon clingy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just read on various websites that cold feet and hands with a temperature is a sign of meningitis - is that it the case?

No, that isn't usually the case. In children between 1 and 3 years old, you should call her pediatrician when shehas a fever of 102.2°F (39°C) or higher to see of he or she wants to see your daughter. If she is otherwise eating and drinking, playing, she is probably fine.

I would urge you to actually take her temperature using a thermometer. Mild fever is the body's way of fighting off an infection. Often the extremities will sweat, making them feel cold and clammy to touch.

Symptoms of meningitis include high fever (above 39-40 degrees) that seems to come out of nowhere, stiff neck, terrible headache (sometimes with nausea and vomiting), sensitivity to light, lack of appetitie or thirst, difficult waking up.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKYOU

You're so very welcome. Hope she gets over her infection quickly.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~