Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I had Lipo in my back, ps, and a tummy tuck 3 weeks ago. I

Customer Question

Hi I had Lipo in my back, hips, and a tummy tuck 3 weeks ago. I woke up with my right thumb pointer and arm numb and unable to lift at all and drop in some positions. I have numbness and pain and tightness in my mid back hips and lore a diner and pubic are. My Surgeon sent me to a shoulder surgeon who established nerve damage but that only time will tell if it's permanent. What are the chances of it being permanent.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

A liposuction is highly unlikely to cause a permanent damage to the nerves. So chance of recovery is very good. I hope you had nerve conduction velocity study and electromyography studies (NCV and EMG). These can assess the nerve damage and severity. They are also able to predict the prognosis reasonably well.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry typo but lower abdomen and pubic area are numb. Both surgeons say my symptoms are rare this long after surgery. I would like to get a answer from a nerve Doctor but my plastic surgeon and the shoulder surgeon say it wouldn't help the outcome. So I'm stuck wondering what is going on with my arm. Also will the numbness of my mid section be the cause of my hunched over posture and feeling tight and bruised when dr says I'm not bruised and my tummy tuck is healed.

The numbness in lower abdomen and pubic area should resolve in around 6-12 weeks. This is sensory cutaneous nerve supply damage which regenerates very well. There are therapies like transcuataneous electrical stimulation and physical therapy which can help you in recovering from numbness and posture correction. The exact diagnosis for the arm can be made by an MRI, EMG and NCV.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Hope you are doing good.

Let me know if I can do anything further.

The upper limb symptoms can be due to pinched nerves in neck. An MRI and nerve conduction velocity study would confirm it. Physical therapy, neck traction and deep electrotherapy should be beneficial in that case. Neuropathy due to B 12 deficiency is another possibility.