A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have a question regarding a bulge what seems to be behind

Customer Question

Hi I have a question regarding a bulge what seems to be behind my navel.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: It is behind my navel a little to the right. I can move it around with my hands, I can move it up and it always goes back to place. I have been constipated but have been able to finally evacuate and it still remains. It has been happening for the past month. I have been on LO Loestrin for about 4 months and am discontinuing it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have missed my last 3 periods but have taken a total of about 8 pregnancy tests, all negative. And apparently that is normal with this particular BC pill. I have IBS, and have never felt this in my life. It usually feels like it goes away when I lay down. It does not hurt, however. It just makes me feel extremely bloated. Also, I do not have my gallbladder.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

This is probably a hernia since you can push it back. Your medical provider will need to examine it to make sure. So long as it does push back readily, there is no danger, so any time in the next couple of weeks will be fine to make an appointment. There are several things that can aggravate it, including straining when one is constipated.

It isn't uncommon to miss a period on birth control pills, but with that particular one, it isn't common to miss three periods in a row. You should talk to your ob/gyn about this. If your aim is to miss periods there are other brands (like Seasonale).

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello,Regarding the BC - I have been to the OB/GYN a couple times during this process, and since I missed it this last time I gave her a call and she said it is normal. Weird, because I had PMS symptoms plus cramps the first two days of the time I was supposed to get it, just no blood (except for a TINY amount of brown...).Just one more question - it could be a hernia even if it is not causing pain (except a few times when I press it it shoots pain up my chest).

Yes, it can be a hernia even without pain. Often they aren't painful unless they become trapped and then you can have considerable pain. As long as it readily pushes back, it isn't a danger. I would have it checked out though, just to make sure that is what it is. I can only suggest possibilities based on what you've told me. It isn't like being able to see and feel it myself.

If your ob/gyn isn't concerned, then it is fine :-)

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, it goes away when I lay down so when my gyno pressed my stomach I guess she didn't feel it.Thank you so much for your help - definitely going to get it checked out!

That's right. You need to palpate the abdomen both standing up and lying down to appreciate a hernia. Glad I could help :-)

Best regards,

Schuyler

~