A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My mother 97 year has a sipping sore on back of lower leg

Customer Question

my mother 97 year has a sipping sore on back of lower leg the sipping is clear. When we feel he heel it is chilled and spongy.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: She has not complained with this before, but today she was on her feet all morning walking around and riding in a car. My niece has given me this info is what is going on with her now and not sure what is causing it. She has put her feet up now and hill is getting warmer.
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: She is on heart med Metaprolol 100 mg Clonidine .1 3xdaily hydrochlorathiazide 25 1xday Levothyroxine .088 mg 1xday
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 11 months ago.

Sometimes in a person her age, the circulation is not as good as it used to be. Prolonged standing or sitting allows the fluid part of the blood to seep out of the circulation. It can actually wet someone's skin, or even drip into their shoe. She needs to keep her feet up above heart level as much as possible. This is best done by lying down with the legs supported on pillows (just one or two under the thighs and more at the ankles). Sitting in a recliner still puts pressure at the groin. She should discuss this with her primary provider tomorrow.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~