OZ247
OZ247,
Experience:  Speciality Registrar at Cambridge University Hospital NHS Trusts
91977314

I am a 74 yr. old recent widow, Every morning times 4 days I

Customer Question

I am a 74 yr. old recent widow, Every morning times 4 days I have been coughing up dark red blood. Only in the AM. Have a history of near-chronic sinus conditions,. mild COPD and have had a stent last year in an aorta.
Could not get in to see my primary physician. thurs or Friday. What should I do and how critical this coughing up of very dark blood - just in the mornings be?
I don't know what to do or how alarmed I should caused my daughter top be. Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.
Sara Sheldon (###) ###-####
San Antonio, Texas
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Associated stuffy nose?

Fever?

Shortness of breath?

Are you taking any medicines?

Have you monitored your blood pressure?

Thanks.

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Firstly you should monitor your blood pressure as high blood pressure can be a contributing factor.

Secondly as you have chronic sinus infection with COPD so these are main causative factors in blood in cough.

The fact that you only notice it in the morning might have something to do with the decreased amount of swallowing you do at night. During the day, you are actively salivating, eating, drinking, talking, and "cleaning" out the mouth naturally. At night, however, these activities are suspended, and might allow the blood to collect more. Enough so that you do notice it in the morning when you are awake.

You should use a humidifier in your room.

Take Nasal saline spray and OTC Zantac.

Do oral antiseptic gargles.

Elevate your head with an extra pillow while sleeping.

If blood is profuse then visit ER.

Make an appointment with your doctor ASAP.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.
Your satisfaction is our goal.

Expert:  OZ247 replied 1 year ago.

I would strongly advise you see your primary physician at earliest. Since you have COPD, it could be airway tract infection, particularly if you have fever and feel short of breath. If no fever or shortness of breath, then its even more important to seek medical consult even sooner.