A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

41YRS OLD. I HAVE BEEN TAKING KOLONOPAN YEARS. THIS WAS THE

Customer Question

I AM MALE 41YRS OLD. I HAVE BEEN TAKING KOLONOPAN FOR 20 YEARS. THIS WAS THE ONLY DRUG THAT WORKED FOR ME TREATING MY HIGH ANZIETY, PANIC ATTACKS, AND SHAKY HANDS. I MUST GET OFF THE DRUG NOW.. I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY AT ALL THE LAST 4 DAYS. MY GOAL IS TO TERMINATE THIS DRUG. I AM ONLY TAKING 1 DRUG, THAT BEING SABOXIN FOR PAIN. I HAVE LOST MY JOB AND INSURANCE , UNTIL END OF MARCH WITH NEW EMPLOYMENT. UPON READING ABOUT (WITHDRAWL EASE) THAT MIGHT BE WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME???? THANK YOU MIKE
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Mike,

No doubt you are feeling pretty miserable after not having klonopin for 4 days. We never just quit any benzodiazepine cold turkey. We decrease the dosage 25% every week or two to gently taper the patient off it. I owuld suggest you go back to at least 75% of the dose you were taking for a week and then start decreasing.

Please let me know if you need any more information :-)

Best regards,

Schuyler

~