Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My dad had bleeding on removal of the Cathedral. as he

Customer Question

My dad had bleeding on removal of the Cathedral. as he forcefuuly pulled it out when he was being treated for epileptic attack. This led to eurosepsis and low platelet count, recovered now with antibiotic pittiaz. finding on systoscopy revealed blood clots lodged to urinary bladder, a flush helped to remove most of it. He also has prostate problem with post void of about 350 ml.Some clots are still seen floating in the USG , question is will this cause eurosepsis or infection again. What can be done to ensure these residues are flushed or dissolved and to avoid infection in future. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

These residue clots usually do not increase the risk of infection or urosepsis. So nothing to worry too much about the infection due to residual clots. Drinking plenty of water and taking medication for benign prostate hypertrophy is going to take care of the clots which had been left over in the bladder. These clots are voided gradually in 3-7 days (or sometimes in lesser duration).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  OZ247 replied 9 months ago.

Yes, persisting clots in the urinary bladder may cause urine infection leading to sepsis. Its essential to ensure adequate hydration, monitor urine output and have very low threshold to have post-void bladder scan in case urine output reduces. In case of fever with worsening suprapubic/lower abdominal heaviness/pain and urinary symptoms, best to seek urgent medical consult to avoid full urosepsis..

Thank you.