How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17806
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. I have been having a pain behind my

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I have been having a pain behind my knee for the past 24 hrs. Before that, I had throbbing pain in my hamstring area of my left leg for a couple of nights. Just trying to figure out what might be causing it, since the pain moved down my leg into the area behind my knee.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 4 days ago is when the throbbing occurred in the middle of the night for 2 nights. Monday, my hamstring just above the knee felt sore. But, yesterday the pain increased and moved to behind my knee. Which seems weird. I am pretty active with sports, 2-3 days a week.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question.

I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

There are a few possibilities.

Pain behind knee can be due to muscle strain, inflammation of tendons or tendonitis.

There can be cyst formation commonly called Baker's cyst.

Arthritis, ligament or meniscus injury can be there.

A clot in the vein can also cause pain here.

I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

A few tests like ultrasound, blood work for arthritis, metabolic panel would be needed.

Till then, you can take tylenol for pain.

I hope this information helps.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent.