Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was prescribed Rodygyl last year when visiting Bulgaria

Customer Question

Hi..I was prescribed Rodygyl last year when visiting Bulgaria and came down with a case of (chronic) bronchitis. I have been treated with pretty much every antibiotic available in the US, and none work any longer on me. This medication worked right away. I am 71 years old and have mild COPD, so need to avoid further episodes. Would you say this is a safe choice for me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had chronic bronchitis my while life (probably the reason I now have COPD). When I get it, I am sick for a very long time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Rodygyl I had to look up ..it is not available in the US

IT HAS two antibiotics > Metronidazole plus Spiramycin

In the US if you should get such with a case of bronchitis then I would advise that you see a pulmonary specialist and see about getting a sputum sample obtained and CULTURED!!

No antibiotic or combination will work every time ...

We see resistance that may vary according to your current infection and bacterial cause and this may be influenced by what antibiotics that you may have taken in the past 2 months ....

You may have a good response on a given episode with the antibiotic that you mentioned but it would not be any guarntee to work every time

It does not work that way. ...

You may include that information to your doctor certainly and I think that may be helpful for your treatment going forward

( we do see patterns where an individual may seem to have similar recurrent types of infections -- definitely that may be the case )

So in your case I think that knowing your history is helpful and would be helpful to your treatment going forward

The success of that antibiotic combination could be helpful information

Still I think if you should get sick with a case of bronchitis then your doctor might mimic the antibiotic combination but at the same time have you collect a sputum sample to be futures which can tell specifically what bacteria is present THIS TIME and WHAT THE ANTIBIOTIC SUSCEPTIBILITY OR RESISTANCE PATTERN Shows ....

That is the best way to guide your treatment ...

What works here in February might not be the same type infection which you might theoretically get later in JUNE for example

It could be two different bacteria

One may respond to an antibiotic Ketek and the next may better respond to Avelox for example ....

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD