A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My name is ***** *****. I remember couging a couple weeks

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. I remember couging a couple weeks ago and feeling a pain in my chest afterwards. It hasn't gona away since then.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The pain is on my left side, mid rib area.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me more?

What is your age and sex?

What medications do you take on a regular basis?

I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a 32 year old male. I took tramadol recently for back pain, but the chest pain occurred before i took the meds. I'm also a smoker.

Sometimes coughing can strain muscles and result in inflammation. It's especially common where the ribs connect to the sternum (the breastbone) and the inflammation is called costochondritis. Anti-inflammatory medications like naproxen (Aleve) or inuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can help with the discomfort. Since it has been two weeks since this happened, I would suggest you see your primary provider. He or she may want to do a chest xray to make sure you don't have pneumonia that caused the coughing.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~