A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am prescribed. I maybe take it twice monthly. I took 25 mg

Customer Question

I am prescribed Librium for anxiety. I maybe take it twice monthly. I took 25 mg @ 1:30 am. I have a wedding tonight. Is it safe to consume alcohol?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also took a dose earlier yesterday around 7:30 pm.
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

The half life of Librium is up to 30 hours. Half life is the time when 50% of the dose is still in the body. Therefore, if you took 25 mg at 1:30 a.m. on Friday morning, then 12.5 mg would still be in your body at 1:30 a.m. on Saturday morning, 6.25 would still be there at 1:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, 3.75 mg still there at 1:30 a.m. on Monday morning. That is for one dose only. The dose you took at 7:30 would just be additive.

It is best to avoid alcohol altogether through the weekend.

If you do decide to have a drink (and I'd limit it to ONE), please have someone else drive.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help. It made me so tired, I'm not very interested in drinking. I'd rather be safe than sorry though. Enjoy your weekend.

Hey, enjoy your weekend as well. Have fun at the wedding!

Warm regards,

Schuyler

~