Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

, Yeah I have been having diarrhea ;feeling week after

Customer Question

hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yeah I have been having diarrhea ;feeling week after I open my bowels and my tummy remains bloated most of the time. I feel gassy inside my stomach and these symptoms are not felt as much when I eat boiled stuff but having said that even if I eat boiled food symptoms persist. It looks like bacterial infection?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

As per your description,your symptoms are suggesting of Gastroenteritis.

And you should try some self care remedies until you see your doctor for a clinical exam.

Drink Gatorade.

Eat BRATY(Banana,Rice,Apple sauce,Toast & Yogurt) diet.

Try Peptobismol,Citrucel,GAS X and probiotic.

Monitor your blood pressure if you feel dizzy.

And it's good to see your doctor and undergo stool analysis.

Antibiotics,anti-spasmodic medicines with IV fluids can be given in severe diarrhea,dizziness,pain abdomen.

Feel free for further queries. It's good to discuss rather than quit.

Your satisfaction is our goal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had this problem for more than 2 months now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had a stool and blood tests and both ironically turned out to be normal
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Then you see a gastroenterologist to rule out other possible causes like Intestinal bacterial overgrowth,Irritable bowel syndrome,Colitis.

Your doctor may further advise tests like Fecal fat test

Small intestine X-ray

Vitamin levels in the blood

Colonoscopy

Ultrasound/CT scan

Small intestine biopsy or culture

Try such self care remedies in the meantime.

Your satisfaction is our goal.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get after positive feedback.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like Intestinal bacterial overgrowth, would antibiotic not be the best way to treat it?
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Bacterial overgrowth is usually treated with a course of antibiotics however most of doctors recommend probiotics as first line therapy with antibiotics being reserved as a second line treatment for more severe cases.

Probiotics are bacterial preparations that alter the bacterial flora in the bowel to cause a beneficial effect.

So you can try it also with other self care remedies until you see a gastroenterologist.

If you have any further query then we can discuss it thoroughly rather than give us poor/bad service.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The question is how probiotic will deal with the bad bacteria? it wont kill kill it ? will it stop the bad bacteria from multiplying ? if not then how the addition of good bacteria will help when there is so much of bad bacteria which should be killed with antibiotic?and why doctors do not recommend antibiotic when we can get good bacteria with probiotics anyway when antibiotics kills it?
#
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Yes,probiotic contains good bacterias and they stop bad bacteria from multiplying and suppressing bacterial overgrowth of abnormal gas producing organisms in the small intestine.

Antibiotics is also added if doctors confirm the diagnosis.

So we advise to undergo further investigations for proper evaluation.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you mean a doctor will never give me an antibiotic until the problem is fully diagnosed? because symptoms suggest Intestinal bacterial overgrowth but tests so far failed to support that?> but to get probiotic I do not need any doctors prescription.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
further investigations will take even longer and if they still fail to come to a conclusion they will take forever .
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

Yes,you can get probiotic over the counter.If it's bacterial overgrowth then probiotic definitely helps you.

And try other self care remedies.

Make an appointment with Gastroenterologist.

we only get after positive feedback.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I got antibiotics and I have been taking them as prescribed but I am getting more diarrhea shall i stop taking it or not please reply soon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been taking the antibiotics and it is my third day
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 1 year ago.

You should add citrucel and probiotic with antibiotic.

And if you still have diarrhea then stop it and opt for other antibiotic after consulting your doctor.

we only get after positive feedback.
Thanks.